Sunday, December 19, 2010

My good samaritan act...

This happened a couple of months back in another country ....I had written it then and I will do a Ctrl C Ctrl V here.
Last evening I had to go to this place to quickly pick up something and so took a taxi and went ... i was greeted by a dark guy who knew some english words and arabic and somehow he asked me where I was from . I then found out that he was from Sudan and with great difficulty he told me he had been here for 12 years. By the way most taxi drivers are from India/Pakistan and they talk to you with so much of warmth ,especially the pakistani drivers. So going back to that story, as we trudged along the wide but absolutely crowded Wed night streets ( Wed night has max traffic , its like Fri evening in India ), he suddenly started singing "pardesi pardesi jana nahin" . I was like open mouthed and absolutely surprised and he suddenly said "aamir khan" /"karishma kapoor" and said "i like i like" ... since he found some encouragement with me congratulating him , he went on an absolute spree - sang a Sunil Shetty song next from Rakshak (of all people sunil shetty!! and i didn't even know this movie ) ,muqala muqabla oh laila was his next and he asked me who that hero with the beard was...then sang some akshay kumar song and then he mentioned shah rukh khan and said "kola kolia " and i said "koyla" and he said yes and gave me a high five!

By this time we had reached this place and I was totally entertained by his antics and asked him if he will drop me back to the hotel . He readily nodded and it took me 10 mins to get back and what do i see? There is this policeman who has stopped by and given him a chit and he had to pay 100 Riyal which is pretty expensive...Drive till there was 20 Riyal and then he asked me to sit in the car and he was so depressed . I felt really bad for this guy and he kept looking at the chit every now and then , nodding his head in absolute frustration . Finally when we reached the hotel , i gave him 100 riyal( I had to pay him 25 ) and asked him to keep it . He held my hands and said "thank you thank you" and immediately gave me his number and said "call , 30 min i come here " with loads of arabic in between and at that time did I get to know that my friend's name was Ahmed. What started off as a small ride ended with me losing a lot more money but making this person really happy.As I walked back was just reminded of "pardesi pardesi jana nahin"....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Guess what happened last evening in Munich? I was at the metro station talking to a bunch of boys - they've come here from Afghanistan and Pakistan. And then there was this other man from Cameroon who's been in Munich for 23 years. And they were all like, "India??!! I know Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Amitabh Bachchan". That guy said the last movie he saw was My name is Khan!! If there's one thing which India could use more abroad to market itself, it has to be Bollywood.
Which country did this happen in?

Ranjan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ranjan said...

Nice :) ...This was in Saudi.