Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gaaaalipata

When I decided to go and watch this movie I just hoped that it would be good and to a certain extent I had expectations that it would be decent due to all the accolades that it has been receiving in recent times . Also since this brought back the successful pair of "Golden Star" Ganesh and Yograj Bhat, (previously worked together in the record setting Mungaru Male) I was hopeful that it would not disappoint.

And 2.5 hours later , the verdict ? It was definitely worth it . I wouldn't call it a great movie . I certainly felt they could have edited the second half by 15-20 mins by removing some unnecessary not so tuneful songs and some scenes, but apart from that it had all the dialogues and scenes that made it memorable. Infact, now I feel like watching it again !!!

It reminds the viewer of Mungaru Male , because there are undeniable similarities in some parts - Fantastic scenery, superb photography, Ananth Nag in a similar role but as usual excelling in his bit, repeated cast except for the heroine(s), a good Sonu Nigam song that haunts you through the movie and dialogues by Ganesh. Its a simple love story , nothing extraordinary, but since its been ages since I have watched a different kannada movie I would give this more credit.

The challenge would have been to come up with new innovative dialogues and hold the viewer's attention for a while and after the movie, I have become a fan of Yogaraj Bhat's dialogues. It definitely makes you laugh whether you like it or not coz' its witty and for people who want to cry there are definitely some scenes. I could see people wiping their eyes in front of me and next to me as well !!!!! And you cant but appreciate Ganesh inspite of his style of dialogue delivery which I think is a huge hit in the state right now!

Just to give a bit more of the story ( actually I haven't said anything so far about the story!), there are 3 youngsters who go to this village where they meet this ex "Bhetegara" who is reduced to a wheel chair due to a spinal cord failure which happened when he tried hunting a Pig !! What these guys do there form the rest of the story. The biggest USP of the movie is the place where they have shot this ! Its superb! Definitely recommended !

All in all, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars and I have a very strong feeling that I will watch it again and also that I want to really go and visit Mugalpet !!

7 comments:

Anki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anki said...

hmm..good stuff! but as you mentioned in your mail, "if you know kannada"..sadly i dont know it quite well..I think i will add it to the list of movies to watch once I know kannada perfectly [;-)] (/me wonders if that will ever happen, but is still optimistic)

Karthik M R said...

I havent seen the movie nor even a scene of it but I think the scenes were taken in Kodachadri(a cool trekking hill in shimoga with awesome views from the top) (I dont know how many facts I have got wrong till now).
When I had gone there for a trek, someone at the top said that the previous day, Ganesh had come for shooting for his new film "Gaalipata"

Ranjan said...

thanks for the info Karthik!!

Anki said...

ranjan, so what is the meaning of the title of the movie ?

Deeps said...

its kite :) .

Santosh said...

Ya, the dialogues by yograj bhat are just superb. As karthik said most part of the movie has been shot at kodachadri...You ll see this tree when there are going to anant nag's home along with that dracula :D
http://picasaweb.google.co.in/santoshbs/Kodachadri/photo#5129377220713867474